Following the terror attacks in Paris on friday, november 13, 2015 and to ensure the safety of our visitors, the museum is strictly applying the security measures decided by the french authorities.
The museum is fully opened.
It is strongly recommanded not to bring suitcases and luggages to the museum. Only luggages not exceeding 55cm*35cm*20cm will be accepted.
Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience and delay which may be caused by the extra security checks at the entrance.
Napoleon was born in this house on 15 August 1769. He lived here until the age of nine when he left to go to school at the Collège d’Autun in France. At this time, his parents, Carlo and Letizia Bonaparte occupied the first floor with use of the kitchen on the ground floor. Their home was extended in 1774 with a terrace built by Napoleon’s father. The second and third floors, which belonged to other family members, were purchased over the course of time. The Bonaparte family, as Republican sympathisers, had to leave the island when it was occupied by the British in 1793. Four years later, when Corsica was back in French hands, Letizia Bonaparte, Napoleon’s mother, returned to Ajaccio, and with the large compensation payments made to those who had been looted during the British occupation, she extended and refurbished the house. A bright gallery was built, and the rooms were furnished with chests of drawers from Milan and chairs ordered from Marseille. Napoleon stayed there for the last time on his return from Egypt, from 28 September to 6 October 1799. In 1843, Joseph Bonaparte inherited the house, which passed down to Napoleon III in 1852.
During the Second Empire, the Emperor Napoleon III and Empress Eugenie paid a visit to the house on 14 September 1860. On 29 August 1869, the Empress visited it once again with her son, the Prince Impérial, to mark the one hundredth anniversary of the birth of Napoleon I, the founder of the Napoleonic dynasty. Other famous visitors eagerly followed: Gustave Flaubert, Pierre Loti, the Prince de Joinville, Joseph Conrad, Boni de Castellane, Elisabeth of Austria, Edward VII and many more. In 1923, Prince Victor Napoleon, who succeeded Empress Eugenie, donated it to the State. It was then listed as a Historic Monument. Finally, in 1967, the house became a national museum, now administered by the Musée National des Châteaux de Malmaison et Bois-Préau. The building was extended in 2004 with the purchase of a neighbouring house, providing further exhibition space devoted to the Second Empire and temporary exhibitions. Restoration campaigns carried out at regular intervals have revealed the original decors commissioned by Napoleon III and Eugenie.
The Bonaparte House is open every day except Monday.
- 1 October - 31 March: 10.30am to 12.30pm (last admission at noon) and from 1.15pm to 4.30pm (last entry 4pm)
- 1 April - 30 September: 10.00 am to 12.30pm (last admission at noon) and from 1.15pm – 5.00pm (last admission 5.pm)
Musée national de la maison Bonaparte
- Bus routes 1,2,3,4,5,7. Bus stop: Cathedral
- Route 8 from the Napoleon Bonaparte airport, Bus stop: CFC railway station - 350 m
- Bus station and port - 200 m
- Full rate: €7
- Concessions: €5 (18-25 year olds who are not citizens or long-term residents of an EU member state, "Large family" cardholders with card valid for the current year)
- Groups: €5 per person (minimum of 10 persons)
- Free for under 26 years olds who are citizens or long term residents of an EU member state, teachers holding a valid "Education Pass" card, disabled visitors plus one accompanying person, job seekers, persons in receipt of tax credits, and members of the Amis de Malmaison
- Free for all visitors on the first Sunday of each month
- Discounts for 20 tickets or more, advance tickets available. Special rates and fast-track tickets: http://www.ajaccio-tourisme.com/visites-guidees-groupes/LOICOR2AV5009CS-...
Téléphone : (0033) 4 95 21 43 89